Let’s real talk about Avatar Korra and her mentor Tenzin (bc they’re the actual best):
- both have had very high expectations placed upon them from early ages, their identities and self-understanding have been defined by their legacy to Avatar Aang (both of them are compared to him and measure their worth against his). (Aang wouldn’t like that btw).
- both of them are really (like really) stubborn and short-tempered (and sometimes fools about feelings, their own and other’s) leading to a lot of fights. also this is partly bc neither of them are in touch w/ their true selves or are balanced individuals. :((Tenzin’s made mistakes re Korra, i.e. being too controlling and putting her in a compound, but he’s always had her best interest at heart and isn’t afraid to apologize to her. they both hAVE TO LEARN FOR THEM TO WORK.
- Tenzin was the first person Korra opened up to about her inner fears and he completely accepted her, in fact he was just really worried about her. (punch me in the face i’m already on the floor). also they are spiritually related and basically have a daughter/father relationship, Tenzin opens his house to all Korra’s friends and they just luv each other a lot ok. <3<3 also korra is spiritual big sis to tenzin’s bbies (and kinda bff with my other fave girl Jinora)
- (seriously I cry whenever they hug).
- they are set up to be a mentorship w/ Tenzin guiding and teaching Korra how to be the Avatar. a lot of heroes outgrow, loose or remain inferior to/directed by their mentor, but uuuh-noho maybe ur faves but never tenzin and korra.<3 their actual arcs have them paralleling each other really strongly, and have each of them confronting the unhealthy idealization/self-perceptions they’ve internalized and dismantling the identities they build as a reflection of the expectations their surroundings placed upon them. Let go of your attachment to who you think you are cryyyyy me a riiver.
- Rather than teaching Korra who to be, Tenzin tells Korra to be herself & that he’ll support her no matter what. asjksaduni4uncRYYY he supports her decision to go against 10000 yrs of trusted tradition !!!11!!
- Basically Korra becomes like an equal to Tenzin halFWAY THROUGH THE STORY. like openly an equal & also more like a friendship between an adult&a teen than a mentorship, Tenzin has great respect for Korra and listens to the advice she gives him. when will you learn -> you’ve grown to be a pretty wise avatar after all wHY DON’T YOU JUST PUNCH ME IN THE THROAT AND RIP OUT MY HEART.
- tl;dr: they understand each other in ways probably no one else does (& appreciate when they get help understanding the parts of the other they don’t), they give each other advice, they respect each other, they love each other. As characters their relationship is full of symbolism and parallels, and they help each other learn more about themselves. (also have I mentioned how much they love and care about each other bc I have many feels about this).
- aka THE VERY BEST mentorship of all time, (ok maybe it’s not the best of all time have not made qualitative/quantitative research, but it is my #1 fave of all time). ╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭ (ps PLEASE DO LISTEN TO ‘HE LIVES IN YOU’ FROM THE LION KING 2 AND HAVE FEELINGS BC KORRA/TENZIN/AANG. (you don’t have to but you could if you want to cry)).